The Upper Structures Piano Voicings & Improvisation Vol.2 course is dedicated to the use of quartals as upper structures over jazz standards chord.
Quartals are very effective when used as upper structures, and offer sounds which are not obtained when using upper structure triads. In this course we show you all possible upper structure quartals over all chord types, and how (and where) to apply them in real songs. We also introduced quartals notation and teach you how to use chord symbols to represent the different types of quartals.
To take full advantage of this course you need a good understanding of basic harmony, chord notation, harmonic progressions, intervals, and functional harmony. Remember, this is volume 2 in the series. It is strongly recommended that you have taken the course in volume 1 which concentrates in the study of Upper Structure Triads for Piano Voicings and Improvisation.
Here’s an example of the first 4 measures of My Foolish Heart using upper structure quartals
Take the following evaluation quiz to see if you are ready to take this course and understand the concepts used.
Upper Structure Quartals Evaluation Quiz.
If you know the answer to the following questions you are probably ready to embark in the study of Upper Structure Quartals.
• What is a Triad?
• When is a Triad Major or Minor?
• Do you understand enharmonic spelling?
• Which note is the Prefect 4th above C?
• Which note is the Augmented 4th above F?
• Which notes is the #11 of Db?
• Secondary functions. What is the ii of ii?
• How do you construct the Major Scale?
• How do you construct the Dorian Scale?
• Which is the dominant chord in A major?
• Why is the progression IIm7 V7 so important in Jazz?
• Can you play any triad in any inversion in all twelve keys?
• What is a chord / chord-scale pair?
(concept introduced in volume 1)
• Do you know how to classify notes using a chord/chord-scale pairing (e.g. chord-tones, tensions) ? (concept introduced in volume 1)
So, how did you do? If you are pretty sure you know the answers to these questions you are ready to start the course. You can click here to find out more.
If you think this is a bit over your head, you can click here to check out the quiz for vol.1 Upper Structure Triads.